Earn CKC Therapy Dog Titles
As a recognized Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) Therapy Dog Program, Pets and Friends’ Therapy Dog Teams are now eligible to earn CKC Therapy Dog Titles. ‘The purpose of this program is to recognize dogs and their owners who volunteer their time to helping others. A therapy dog team improves the lives of those they have visited in schools, hospitals, and nursing homes for example. The CKC is thrilled to be able to adopt this Title Recognition Program beginning January 1, 2019.’
THERAPY DOG TITLES
- CKC Therapy Dog Novice (THDN) – Must have completed 10 visits.
- CKC Therapy Dog (THD) – Must have completed 50 visits.
- CKC Therapy Dog Advanced (THDA) – Must have completed 100 visits.
- CKC Therapy Dog Excellent (THDX) – Must have completed 200 visits.
- CKC Therapy Dog Distinguished (THDD) – Must have completed 500 visits.
HOW TO EARN THE TITLE: QUALIFICATIONS
- Before you apply for Therapy Dog Titles, you will need to register your dog with the CKC. All dogs, even those who are mixed breeds, are eligible for registration.
- Though not mandatory, a Canine Good Neighbour Certification (CGN) is recommended.
- Provide proof of your pet therapy visitations on the CKC Therapy Dog Record of Visits Form or the equivalent form provided by Pets and Friends. You must perform the required number of visits for the title for which you are applying.
- Fill out and submit the Canadian Kennel Club Therapy Dog Title Application Form with the fee of $20.00 plus applicable taxes per Therapy Dog Title.
TAIL WAGGING TIPS
- Pets and Friends must receive documentation outlining the number of visitations prior to submitting paperwork to the CKC.
- Only those visits made as a Pets and Friends Pet Therapy Team to your assigned facility may be used for credit.
- Handler/pet teams must be up-to-date on their membership.
If you have any questions about earning a CKC Therapy Dog Title as a Pets and Friends volunteer or to receive a letter from Pets and Friends validating your registration or documented number of visitations, please contact us today.