Thank you for your interest in Pets and Friends’ Pet Therapy Program! Below are key requirements to make sure you and your pet are eligible to join our program. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prospective Pet Therapy Team Eligibility
- Pets must be a minimum of one (1) year of age and have been under the guardianship of their handler for three (3) months.
- Dogs must have up-to-date vaccinations (distemper, hepatitis, para-influenza and parvovirus). Titre testing is accepted. Rabies vaccination is mandatory.
- Dogs must have a city license.
- Pets must be clean, healthy and well groomed (odor free, nails clipped and filed, teeth brushed).
- Pets should be friendly and social and enjoy meeting new people.
- Pets must be leash trained and on a leash at all times.
- Special training is not required but dogs should have basic obedience skills such as loose leash walking, sit, down, stay and come.
- Pets must have no history of aggression towards other companion animals or people.
- Handlers must be a minimum of 16 years’ old.
- Handlers will be required to successfully pass a criminal record check.
Pet therapy teams should be committed to regularly scheduled pet therapy visitations – that is, weekly or bi-weekly visitations for a minimum of one (1) year.
If you and your pet meet our requirements and you’d like to bring the joy and comfort of pet therapy to those in need of a friendly visit, check out A Walk Through Our Process for a detailed outline of the steps to become a Pets and Friends Pet Therapy Team.